Thursday, January 16, 2014

Goal Setting



When I was seven years old, my dad sat down with me and taught me about goal setting. I think I have kept this memory because it has had a profound and positive impact on my life.   Setting goals is what helps me decide what it is that I really want in my life and then plan out steps to achieve my dreams.  My dad taught me that there are two main categories of goals, short and long range.  Short-range goals are the ones you try to do every day, or every week.  Long-range goals are the things you want to accomplish that might take a while.  For example, maybe you want to get all A and B grades.  That is a long-term goal.  Your short-term goal might be to write down and complete your homework every day, or study at least an hour every night.

At Canyon, we believe in goal setting.  You may have wondered about our Late Start Wednesdays.  Each department on campus is creating goals to try to help you learn and be successful.  Each semester we are creating goals to become better.  Are you setting goals for yourself each semester?  You should be!

We are trying so hard to help you achieve your dreams, that we have created a mission statement.  This mission statement is our long-range goal.  It is, “Our mission is to develop responsible citizens who have the knowledge, skills, and experience necessary for either beginning post-secondary education or entering the workforce.”  

What are your goals for high school and after graduation?  We recommend that you sit down with your family and discuss this if you haven’t yet.  We would love to hear your goals.  The more we know about you, the better we can help you!

If you ever need help with goal setting, please stop by the counseling office.  We are goal setting masters!!  In the upcoming weeks we will continue to share with you the goals that the Canyon Staff has made in an effort to help you be successful in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment